Translate

Friday, March 1, 2013

Catholics & the Pope

So, this is what I know:

1) Catholicism is the 'Grandfather' of Christianity for lack of a better term.
2) Before we had the many different sects that we do now,  there were the Catholics.
3) For some odd reason, the pope, cardinals, and bishops are highly revered authorities in this Christian sect. (They're humans for Pete's sake!)
4) Like or not, Catholics that have held these particular positions have wielded their power in ways that have altered billions of human lives for their own gain.

I'm going to be forthcoming. I am an atheist. If I'm ever going to go back to a religion, it will be one that does not focus on me worshipping some god or gods, and it will not be a religion that is based on women automatically being the lesser sex. I will not badger people about what they believe in. If it helps you become a better person, then by all means go for it.

There are just some things that I don't understand: like the hoopla over the pope. He's a human. Do people think he can heal? It just seems as if he's like anyone else. He's does whatever he has to do to get to the top. No different from what presidential candidates do. Why hasn't been a female elected as pope? Oh, I know why. Because we're women! Why not black, Asian, or homosexual? Oh, right. Because they're not WASPs (White Anglo-Saxon Protestants)!

It's amazing, yet sad that we, as humans, give so much power to once person, no matter the sex, color, or ethnicity. To the people that are Christians or whatever you claim yourself to be, don't lose sight of what's at the heart of your religion. Don't jump to conclusions! I went to a Christian school for twelve years. I've been taught to memorize verses and chapters on end amongst other things. Have you just ever taken some time out of your day to think, "Is the Pope going to help me in any way today?" or "Is loving the Pope over the bum on the street going ensure my place in heaven?"

Just wondering!     

No comments:

Post a Comment